Do you ever knit the same pattern more than once? I just finished my 3rd Drachenfels. I was looking over my Ravelry projects collection, and I realized I do this often. But why? I personally have a number of reasons for these repeats.
- First and foremost, I repeat the pattern because it wasn’t perfect the first time. If somewhere along the way the stitch count gets off and I have to fudge a correction, I feel like the pattern has conquered me. I find it so satisfying to knit the pattern again and get the right count. I guess I could just pull out my work and repeat to get the right count the first time I knit the pattern. However, at the time, when I discover an error, that never feels like a good option.
- I reuse a pattern because I feel like I’m getting my money’s worth. I paid around $6 for Drachenfels, and have now used that patttern 3 times. At $2 per use, that’s a pretty good deal.
- If I really like the way something turned out, I might want to try it with different colors. Or, I might want to make a small adjustment in the pattern to make it look even better.
- Sometimes, a friend or family member will ask me to make them the same pattern that they see me wearing. That’s how I ended up making Drachefels for the 2nd time.
- Sometimes I will make a shawl with a fingering yarn first, then repeat the pattern with lace yarn, which I find more challenging.